
Sunday, October 7, 2007.
The Journey Begins.
Note the happy countenance. I'm heading for Northern California - Redwood Forests, Rugged Coastlines, Clear Mountain Streams, a Few Special Friends, A Couple of Tennis Tournaments (I hope), A Billion Stars, Crackling Campfires, Peace, Quiet, Tranquility...and maybe an adventure or two.
And, one of the great things about living in the 21st Century is that I will have my entire business and busienss life with me. So I can be geographically free as a bird and yet completely conscientious and diligent in my business responsibilities. Travel, see the country, and not miss a business beat.
I've set up my 26 foot Class A motorhome so it is a comfortable living environment and an efficient office.
Don't you just love it?
Blake
Here's Blake, my Grandson, pretty much as he looks today. Let's check him out when I get back.
He's about 10 months now and changes so much even when I don't see him for a couple of weeks. I'm eager to see how he'll look and what he'll be doing in a couple of months. You don't notice it so much when you're with the kids every day, but when some time passes between visits, wow! You really can appreciate the wonders of kids and the miracle of growing up.
Monday, October 8, 2007 - Columbus Day - Starting Off
Yesterday, after a very fun few hours of tennis with some wonderful folks I met at Kit Carson Park in Escondido (Loretta, Don, Reggie, and a new guy I just met yesterday, Dennis), I drove across to San Clemente and spent a lovely afternoon and night with Brian, Vanessa, and Blake. And, as a special added bonus, we all had Mongolian BBQ for dinner and Chelsea was able to join us.
What a great send off.
I'll head out this morning. Was thinking of visiting Frank and Connie in Bakersfield as my first destination, but think I'll head up to the Santa Barbara/Ojai area first, then go east to Bakersfield, then back to the coast to Big Sur. Frank and Connie are actually at their cabin in the Sequoia's and it's just further away from the coast....and my heart is sort of set on the coast right now.
Just looked at a map and realized that Santa Barbara is a lot further away from Ojai than I thought, too. So I'm looking at Santa Barbara now as Destination # 1. Perhaps Carpinteria State Beach.
So here's my home and mobile office douwn the street from Vanessa and Brian's loaded up and ready for the road.
Had a great drive coming to Carpinteria. Got some new (to me) used books and audio books for the road at the used book store and left San Clemente at 10:15.
No traffic at all. The Honey performed flawlessly (as did I).
Arrived at Carpinteria State Park at 1:30. Hooked up electric, power, & sewer, "unsecured" things that were secured for travel that I'll need to access in the next few days, offloaded my motorcycle, and was in full business mode by 2:00 or 2:30.
Here's a view across the beach and across the Pacific looking at the Channel Islands. I had a major sailing adventure related to the channel islands. It involved a short woman, a very tall man, some broken ribs, and a huge storm, but that's a story for another day.
My space is a couple of rows back from the beach, but it's quite beautiful here and warm for now. In fact, there are people swimming in the ocean.
I'm going to go to a tennis "mix and match" at Pershing Park (Vanessa & Chelsea played quite a few junior matches there in their day) this evening. I have no idea what this mix and match thing is all about, but I'll find out.
Back to work for now.
October 9, 2007 – Carpenteria State Beach – Cool, Clear, Gorgeous
Mix and Match Tennis last night.
About 30 people showed up, which surprised me – I think that’s a good turnout. Good, bad, men, women, big, small, fat, skinny, young, old. Well, I was the oldest there, so let’s delete “old.”
The first thing they asked me is if I could stay until 9:30. Ahhhhhhh.....that’s past my normal bed time, folks. Way past. But, I was already there, didn’t really have anything else to do, and it was an absolutely beautiful night, so what the heck, right?
It was a King of the Mountain format. Mini-pro sets to 4, then winners move up to the next court and change partners and losers move down and change partners. The pro running the thing saw me warming up and put me on Court 1. With a variety of partners, I managed to stay there all night. Met lots of nice people. You know, for the most part, tennis people are pretty darned nice except when they think they’re too good and let their egos get in the way. Kick me in the butt if I ever do that.
On the way back here, the headlight on my motorcycle went out. So I found myself zipping down the 101 at 60 MPH without actually being able to see the road. The 101 between Santa Barbara and Carpinteria is pretty much unlighted. Yikes. I scooted in behind a big truck and just followed his tail lights. This is not a fun thing to do. I do not recommend it.
Had Taco Bell at 10:00 PM – that’s a first.
Working all day today and then dinner with Diane and her husband, Greg, at their house tonight.
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 – Carpinteria – Overcast, Possible Light Rain, Cool
Cool? I had to break out the heavy blanket last night.
Yesterday was uneventful work except for the challenge and adventure of the trying to get my motorcycle light fixed.
As expected, it was a blown fuse. No big deal, except where do you get a fuse for a Honda motorcycle headlight in Carpinteria, California? That was the challenge. There is no Honda shop here. (By the way, this sort of thing is an ongoing issue when you’re constantly in a new place. You have to find the market and drug store and hardware, etc. It’s not always easy, believe it or not.)
It took some running around and asking lots of people “where would you suggest I look...” Anyway, it’s done and fine. And, in the process, I saw just about all of Carpinteria which is an old fashioned beach town. Quite nice.
Last night I had the great pleasure of a fabulous dinner with an old frend and a new one.
I’ve known and been friends with the old friend, Diane, for....I hate to admit to this....around 45 years. We sort of grew up together through our high school years. I was around her a lot when her two sons, Jason and Mark were youngsters. We lost touch for times over the years, but always seem to get reconnected, for which I, for one, am grateful. Diane is special.
A couple of weeks ago she initiated a reconnection effort after a long absence. We had lunch in Carlsbad and Diane invited me to dinner when I got to Santa Barbara. I don’t think she could have been more shocked when I actually called her to take advantage of the invite.
She and my new friend, her husband, Greg, live in a beautiful, unique home on the cliffs in Santa Barbara north of the City College with the most spectacular ocean view you could imagine.
Greg is smart and intellectual, soft spoken, gentle, a pianist, entrepreneur, world class sailor, very interesting, and, most importantly, a great dad. You can just tell.
They filled me up with baked salmon, asparagus, Ceasar salad, and, for desert, fresh strawberries and dark chocolate. Oh, yeah, and great company. I got acquainted with Greg and reminisced with Diane. And...as a special bonus....I got a doggy bag.
Here they are:
Driving up to their house I took the street by the ocean and it brought back a flood of memories. There were the law firm days memories – cases, personalities, friends we made, volleyball on the beach, sailing out of and into the Harbor, our house and life on Samarkand. Then there were the Junior Tennis memories, too. Vanessa and Chelsea played a lot of tournaments in this area and passing what used to be the Fess Parker Hotel (I don’t know what it’s called now) made me smile. There are stories upon stories.
Today I’m having lunch with my dad’s dearest friend and business associate. His name is Mike. He lives in Montecito. It was a chore finding him (harder, in fact than finding the fuse), but creativity, perseverance, and patience won the day as they usually do. I’m looking forward to seeing him.
Other than that, I have a lot of work to do today, so I think I’d better get to it.
..................................................................
Ain’t life interesting?
I had to go over to the Park Headquarters to make arrangements to stay here another night and on the way I was struck by how different and interesting people are.
For example......
Here’s one way to “camp.”
And, here’s another.
Is one “better” than the other? It’s about lifestyle preferences and choices, isn't it. I could make an argument for either the biggest, fanciest RV or the smallest lightest tent. How about you? By the way, I'm constantly struck by how many tent campers there are pretty much everywhere I go.
While I was waiting because even though there were three people in the Kiosk doing god knows what they wont process reservations until exactly 8:30 and not a flippin’ moment before, I had a chat with a really nice German fellow with understandable English. He shipped his Volkswagon Van (way, way smaller than my old Camper) over from Germany to Eastern Canada. Then he and his wife “camped” west across Canada, then down through Washington and Oregon, and tomorrow they are headed for Mexico and the Baja. In the first week of December he’ll ship the Volkswagon back to Germany, return home, and resume his “normal, boring” life.
And I say, again, ain’t life interesting?
At least it is if you make it so.
October 11, 2007 -- Adieu Carpinteria
Heading over to Bakersfield later this morning.
Here’s Mike.
Mike is a great guy and has been a wonderful, loyal, true friend to Dad. I’m so glad I was able to track him down for a fabulous lunch at the Santa Barbara Harbor and spend an hour chatting about Dad, families, and boats. It was a truly glorious day and being at the marina reminded me of the hours and hours and hours I spent sailing my Balboa 20 out of there. Santa Barbara is a uniquely beautiful place.
When I arrived here on Monday I did what I always do when landing in a new place....started calling around and checking online for ways and places I might find a tennis game or two.
I told you before about the Mix & Match at the park.
A lot of the clubs just aren’t friendly about helping an intenerate tennis bum find a game. But once in a while you find a pro who “gets” it. Mark, at the Santa Barbara Tennis Club, “got” it. He asked around his club and found another “senior” who was willing to hit with a stranger.
Although there was a little confusion caused by missed voice mail messages, and at exactly the time I had given up hope and was starting to eat my doggy bag dinner that Diane and Greg were kind enough to give me, this fellow named Dennis called. In a split second the doggy bag went back into the fridge, the rackets got slung on my back, the motorcycle was fired up, and I zipped up to the Santa Barbara Tennis Club.
It is a beautiful facility with an out in the country feel. It’s located above the Santa Barbara Mission (which is, by the way, a beautiful and very interesting place with stories for another day).
I met Dennis there and we had a great match. Like me, Dennis plays Senior Tournaments. He’s a gentleman, fine athlete, fast as lightning, competitive on court, a lefty (which, of course, we all hate just on principal), and a very good player. It was a great workout and a ton of fun. On the way out I also had the pleasure of meeting his wife. Dennis and I will hook up again next time I’m in this area.
In case you’re wondering, here’s what he looks like.
Got a contract to write and get out this morning, and then I then I have myself to get out of here.
With Anacapa Island in the background.... Adieu, Carpinteria.
October 12, 2007 – Hello Bakersfield
I know, I know, I know.....
Bakersfield is not known as the Garden Spot of Southern California. I could be in Big Sur today. But no, I’m in Bakersfield.
What gives?
Frank and Connie give, that’s what.
The day before the first day of law school this big old bear of guy starts talking to me at the book store. No idea what he was talking about. And, in spite of all my efforts to avoid eye contact and conversation, he must have thought we were going to be friends or something. All of my avoidance tactics didn’t deter him in the least.
Then, it turns out the next day he’s in my “section” which means all of my classes. And since we’d had this bonding experience the day before, he just kept on talking like we’d been old friends forever. And, for the next 3 years, it just kept on, and on, and on.
Thank god, by the way.
I attribute graduation from law school to Frank. He should have been given 2 JD’s – his and mine.
Frank is about the smartest person I know. He challenged me and pushed me. He mentored me and taught me. He organized me. He made sure I was in the right classes (the ones he wanted to take) and that I showed up to register on time.
We studied together for the Bar Exam....every day for 3 months. Intense. Went to the Bar Review Course together every night. Had separation anxiety when we had to take the Bar Exam in different locations. He made a tape recording of himself talking and talking and talking so I could take it with me to the Exam and find solace is his voice during breaks. He asked me what I wanted him to say on the recording. I replied, “it doesn’t matter....I never listen to you anyway.”
And right now, as I’m writing this, Frank’s talking. I have no idea about what.
And then there’s Connie. Frank and Connie were, as far as I recall, the only married couple at the start of law school. And, they had a baby, Jonathon. I met Jon the day he was born. Connie was the consummate mom and the anchor, the strength, the sanity, and the stability through the law school years. Not just for Frank, for me, too.
During those years Stephanie and I spent most of our spare time with Frank, Connie, and Jon including many weekends and summer days visiting Frank and Connie and their lovely family (mom, dad, brothers, sisters, cousins...the whole magilla) in Bakersfield. So being here is like being home...with family.
Here’s the kind of friends Frank and Connie are. When I got stationed for 13 months in Okinawa and we figured out how Stephanie could come, too, Frank and Connie “baby sat” our 120 pound Great Dane. Think about it. A Great Dane for a year. That’s either love or insanity.
And it’s been a long time since we’ve been together so there’s lots of catching up to be done.
You’ll see Frank and Connie in this picture....and Frank’s mom, Ruth. Mid 80’s. That’s her age and golf score...seriously.
October 12, 2007 – A Day In Bakersfield -
Look. I know Bakersfield is the brunt of millions of jokes (deservedly, I presume – I’m not saying it deserves the jokes, I’m just presuming it deserves them).
But I have to say that today was a gorgeous day here. Clear, cool, and beautiful. Admittedly of the hundreds of days I’ve spent in Bakersfield over the years, this was the FIRST and ONLY gorgeous day I’ve encountered....but it was a gorgeous day.
So that’s one for Bakersfield.
Pal’d around with Frank all day. Car place. Pep Boys. Motorcycle Dealer. Guy stuff.
Got educated by Frank on such subjects as the etymology of “privacy,” the German philosophy of car building – well really just the Mercedes Benz philosophy of car building, the style and engine capacity of every Mercedes ever built, why a retired couple actually needs 4 big cars, how to select and buy the “proper” sunglasses and why you better not ever lose them, how rust kills grape vines, how many vineyards there are in and around San Luis Obispo, California, precisely why we evolved and the Cro-Magnon man did not, and much more fascinating stuff. I think Frank could win a million bucks on Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader. Honestly. He’s got to at least be smarter than a 6th Grader. (Or else he’s just been B.S.ing me all these years and I’m so dumb I just believe everything he says.)
Connie’s sister, Jan, stopped in to say hello. She and her husband, Carl, are great people and part of the family. I invited myself to go with them to their Beach House, but was less than subtlety told no. I guess maybe I’m not really that big of a part of the family. Oh, well.
Jan was kind enough to reveal 2 little known secrets to me: 1. How to purchase the most expensive eye glasses on Earth in “THE ROOM” and how to trick Connie into it, too. 2. How to “save” big money by spending outrageous amounts while using Discount Coupons. (I think there may have been some fuzzy math in there, but I’m not sure.) Girl stuff.
It was great to see her, and you can, too...here she is. Wearing, by the way, the most expensive eye glasses on Earth:
Before Frank would permit me to have dinner, he made me swing a 30 pound sledge hammer all afternoon to break out a massive amount of 6 or maybe 12 inch thick reinforced concrete in the front of his house so he could put in a new mailbox. Honestly, there was not one single thing wrong with the old mailbox. I believe he just wanted to see me sweat. Now I have blisters on my hands. And I have no doubt I'll end up putting in the new mail box tomorrow.
Connie made an unbelievably great dinner and we are spending a quiet, relaxing evening. I'm doing this TravelBlog thing, Connie is reading on the couch, and Frank is taking care of some family business is his office.
October 13, 2007 - Bakersfield – Last Day
So much for the gorgeous Bakersfield Fall weather I was bragging about yesterday.
I met a guy at the Laguna Niguel Tennis Tournament a few months ago who I noticed on the draw sheet was from Bakersfield. I introduced myself at that tournament and we chatted for just a few seconds about my secret life in Bakersfield.
So when I got here on Thursday I searched around some and found him and we arranged a tennis game for this morning at 7:00 AM at the Bakersfield Tennis Club which is a great old Club and only a few minutes from Frank & Connie’s house. (Vanessa and Chelsea also played some junior tournament matches there.)
So when I woke up at 4:30, I couldn’t help but notice it was raining.
Shoot.
Chance for exercise other than sledge hammering....ruined by rain. Thank you, Bakersfield.
The tennis guy’s name is Randy. I call him at 6:40. It wasn’t raining then, but it was soaking wet, so I was hoping Randy could reschedule for a bit later or something.
He said it hadn’t rained at his house and he’d run down to the Club to see what the situation was there.
He called back to say it was dry as a bone. The club is like 10 minutes away and we have rain and everything is soaked here and it’s bone dry 10 minutes away. What kind of place is this?
Anyway, Randy and I had a great 2 hour match. Like just about all of the guys who are this age and willing to get out and work our butts off to stay reasonably fit and quick and who want to compete and run around like youngsters and exhaust ourselves and beat up our old bods just for the sheer fun and competition of it, Randy is a great guy, a great athlete, and a gentleman on and off the court.
Here’s Randy.
Randy’s a native Bakersfieldian and it turns out that, among other things, he was in elementary school with Connie, graduated from high school the same year as Frank and Connie but from a different high school, and was in Frank’s courtroom on at least one occasion. Bakersfield is a small town.
Randy is a former Marine Corps Viet Nam Infantryman Veteran, retired Fire Fighter, and spent 4 years on the Arson Squad up here (that’s when he was in Frank’s court). He said Frank was like a stand up comedian...funniest judge he’s ever seen.
Randy was nice enough to drive me back to Frank and Connie’s after we played so I introduced him to Frank and, ohmygod, I didn’t think they’d ever shut up about all the people they knew in common, what Bakersfield was like when they were kids, local politics, who was having affairs with whom, and on and on. By my previous posts you should have the idea by now that Frank can talk with the best of them. Well, you’ll just have to trust me on this, but I’m here to tell you that Randy can hold his own. Even with Frank.
I took a nap and came back out and they were still at it.
After Randy left, Frank assigned me to go ahead and get started putting his mail box in, which I dutifully did while he supervised. Frank is an excellent supervisor, by the way. An “excellent supervisor” is someone who is willing to delegate and let the delagatee do what he’s supposed to do and not actually interfere with or do any actual work themselves. Frank’s good. Believe me. An expert.
After sledge hammering the huge mass of concrete yesterday (and the necessity of buying many new tools to do so) and the value of the time and labor invested by Frank and me doing the installation today - pouring concrete, setting bolts, assembly, clean up, etc. (and the necessity of buying many new tools and extra concrete and the gas running back and forth to the hardware store for two days), lost opportunity costs, not to mention the cost of the mail box itself, I figure this is about a $6,000 mailbox.
If a Catrina-like hurricane hits Bakersfield, Frank and Connie’s house will be blown away, but that mailbox will survive. Guaranteed.
Watched the end of the SC – Arizona football game with Frank. SC’s looking pretty bad I must say. They’ll probably drop out of the top 10 this week. If not, the fix is in.
I’ve enjoyed my stay here immensely. The opportunity to spend some quiet time with both Frank and Connie is a pleasure and a privilege for me. They are absolutely the best. Though it’s been at least 5 years since we’ve seen each other, it might as well have been yesterday.
Tomorrow I’m heading for Big Sur, more than glad I came to Bakersfield, and excited for whatever the future holds.
I wonder what that might be?
Whoops. Almost forgot. Here’s that $6,000 mail box.
Bye, Bye Bakersfield.
Sunday, October 14, 2007
I'm not sure how this will work, but I'm going to start this new week with a New Post. Just an experiment....if it dosn't work right or is too confusing, I'll come back and just continue adding on here.
12 comments:
Dad,
This blog is so cool. I am so happy that you have set this up. I am also really excited for you that you have the time and opportunity to take this amazing adventure. I sure wish that I were with you, but at least through this blog, I can live vicariously through you. Sorry about the motorcycle light, but at least you got some good tennis in and Taco Bell. Sounds like my high school days, tennis till late and then some good T-Bell. Well, I love you and I hope that you have a wonderful day. Talk to you soon.
Love, Chel
Sounds like you have been having a wonderful trip thus far. I love reading about all of the events. Blake is doing great and just ate Mac N Cheese for the first time..needless to say, he LOVED it!
We love you,
V
What an amazing experience you are having. I love it all! The pictures are gorgeous and your writing is beautiful. I dont know why, but every time I read about what you are doing, I start to cry (its wierd!) I am just so happy for you that you have the opportunity to do this. Connie and Frank look exactly the same and it made me really miss them to see their picture. We had a lot of fun times with them. I love you and I love the blog and cannot wait to read about your future adventures as you encounter them.
Hi Dex,
Brian forwarded your website. It sounds like you are in for a real adventure. We, too, saw Diane a week ago when Debbie had her 40 year high school reunion and enjoyed talking about some of the many things we did and people we knew back "in the old days". The big dinner dance was at the La Canada Country Club and sure brought back lots of memories. It was a wierd feeling turning on "Godbey Drive" and driving by your old house. Diane told us that she was going to have lunch with you. It must have been fun catching up with her. You do have lots of history together.
We hope you will consider driving along either the 40 or the 160 and finally stopping by Standing Stone Ranch. We'll be in Pheonix for Mortie's wedding from 11/2 to 11/4 and back for Blake's birthday from 11/9 until 11/12 but other than that we will be here until the weekend before Thanksgiving. We even have a 50 amp hook-up but have a pretty comfortable bed too. Just let us know if Southwest Colorado fits into your plans.
Take care, Debbie & Jim
Hi Dad,
Sounds like the traveling is going well so far. Please tell Connie and Frank we say hello. They do the exact same. Brian, Blake and I went to "special persons" day at Parker, Tori, Brooke, and Spencer's school. We did crafts in their classrooms and then had a picnic lunch. It was so cute and a lot of fun! Have a great weekend. We love you!
Hi Dex,
This is one of your So Cal tennis buddies checking in with you. Enjoying your adventure right along with you vicariously. This blog is a great idea. I sent your website location onto a few other of your fellow Sr. circuit players so they can follow you too. I'm sure they will enjoy your blog & especially all your tennis adventures. Wishing you a wonderful & safe trip.
your friend & fellow tennis nut,
-Dennis-
Wow, dad, what great pictures! I can only imagine what a wonderful time you are having. I would consider this your "dream" vacation. We are good over here and Blake really misses you!
Dad,
Those pictures in Big Sur are amazing. I loved what you wrote about the sounds of the river. I too have not heard that tranquil sound in way too long. So far, it seems like this trip could not be any better. I miss you a lot but, again, am so happy that you have the opportunity to do this. I love you.
Love, Chel
Hi dad,
Just waiting for your grandson to wake up from his nap and then we are off to get him his second hair cut! We have had a good week and are getting geared up for the big USC/Notre Dame game tomorrow! Sounds like you are having a blast.
Love you,
V
Dad,
Again, sounds like you are having an amazing time. Its so fun to see the pictures and read all about it one day at a time. I am living vicariously through you. I was happy to hear that you got some tennis in after you drought. I am just working away over here, loving my view and wonderful lunches. I miss you and love you so much. Drive safely and I cant wait to hear what happens in your next town!
Love, Chel
Hey Dex,
I enjoyed living vicariously through your eloquently written journal! Re: Big Sur...I spent 8 years (3 days/week) living in a house across the street and up the hill from Fernwood Campground. I spent many a lazy sunny day at that river, and it is truly one of my favorite places on earth!
If you have a chance, you might want to visit Glen Ellen (famous for the winery) I used to live on a vineyard and the only way to the main road was through Sonoma State Hospital Mental Institution. I'm sure you won't laugh when I tell you I made many good friends there out on their stately lawn... a lot of characters! You might even find a tennis partner there!
Jack London wrote about this charming town. There used to be a restaurant called "Juanitas".She was an X-Madame; heavy set and always wore a tiara in her hair. She and the restaurant were a living legend.
I look forward to reading more and wish you many magical days on your charmed adventure!
Sherry
Hi dad,
Sorry I have not commented in a while! It was great catching up on your blog and reading about all of your fun adventures. I really enjoy seeing the pictures that you have taken! We are doing good and miss you a lot. Blake had his 1 year appointment yesterday. He weighs 22lbs 12oz and is 31 inches tall, average for weight and tall. We also brushed his teeth for the first time last night and he actually enjoyed it!
We love and miss you,
V
Post a Comment