
Leg 6
November 13, 2007
November 13, 2007 -- Hello State Capitol
Last night I finally made the decision to head Southeast out of Willits and go to the Sacramento Area. May mosey on down the Sacramento Delta after a while.
It started raining again yesterday (Monday) around 10:00 AM, I was cooped up all day, and was still raining when I left Willits this morning. Also, it was still pretty cold.
So what that means in real life is that everything that I had outside was completely saturated and I had to stow it while it was still wet, the ground was one giant mud puddle so I was traipsing mud all over the place, and generally it was a big fat mess.
I got a reasonably early start but had to make a couple of stops (gas, tire store to have air put in my tires – it’s a big pain with dual wheels on the rear and I couldn’t possibly do it at the local gas station, etc.) and so finally really got traveling around 10:00 or 10:30.
Spent many miles driving along Lake Mendocino. It is a big and beautiful lake. I would have liked to have stayed on the lake and I had called every RV Park on the lake I could find before I went up to Willits, but I couldn’t find a place where I would be able to get Internet access and cell service is patchy in that area.
But, look at these couple of pictures from the banks of the lake and you’ll see why it wouldn’t be too awfully bad a place to be hanging out for a little while.
Rolled in to my RV Park here in West Sacramento at exactly 1:30, got on a conference call as I was coming down the driveway, and finally got off the phone and actually picked out my space and registered around 2:30 or 3:00. Laid all my wet stuff out to dry, took off my flannel shirt for the first time in a while, opened my windows for the first time in a while, and here I am in Jeans and a tee shirt listening to some birds chirping while catching up on the Blog.
Here's where I'm living for a few days....maybe more. You'll notice all the junk I have laying around -- it's just wet stuff that needs to dry out. And just behind me about 40 yards is a pretty little finger of the river you'll see. The place is pretty empty and should be quiet and peaceful.
More on our state capital and the Surrounding area to come. I’ve never been around these parts before (one of the reasons I decided to come this way) so if and when I can get out to explore and site see, it will be an adventure.
November 15, 2007 – Thursday In West Sacramento
Quiet day working.
I did a little running this morning (there’s a big field that’s perfect for working out right next to me) and even though my groin is still a bit sore, if I run straight and under control I can work out without aggravating it. And I need to really start getting back in some sort of shape, I think, just in case I ever play tennis again.
Other than that and other than working on some contracts, nothing happening today. In fact, my butt is sore from just sitting in my office chair all stinkin' day.
Yesterday I took a break and a motorcycle ride around the immediate area to see what was around.
Nothing, actually. Business and industrial mostly. Flat. Sparse. At least it's nice and warm and not too hot. And the RV Park where I am is quiet and a fine place to work. Yesterday I made a bunch of phone calls sitting on a proch swing (a real hanging from the rafters by chains porch swing) overlooking the river finger behind me. Nice.
I probably won’t see anything of any interest until the weekend. I’ve been asking everyone I can find, “What should I do around here that’s fun or interesting...or both?”
Without exception the answer is: “Have you been to Old Town (also known as Historic Sacramento) yet?”
So, I guess that’s it. I’ll head over to Historic Sacramento first thing Saturday morning and see what’s up. It doesn’t have me excited, but who knows? It may be the greatest place I’ve ever been.
If any of you loyal TravelBlog readers know Sacramento or have any Sacramento suggestions, I’m totally open. Let me hear from you.
I’m going to stay here through Sunday and then head further south (I have no idea where to) on Monday.
I'm also open to suggestions on my next few stop over spots. I don't have anything specific in mind yet.
REPLY TO COMMENTS
Chel - Miss you, too and am excited to see you when I get back.
And boy oh boy would we be having fun if you were along for the trip.
No tennis in the immediate future, but I'm thinking I may look for some hits the week after Thanksgiving depending where I am. I sort of promised myself to let the healing process go on through November. The last time I played was Oct. 28 in Sonoma when I lost that match to the really good guy, Jeff. So the week after Thanksgiving will be about a month. But, if my groin is still sore then, I'll do my best to resist the temptation to play. I'd really like this thing to get healed this time. I could play right now, but one false step and I'd be right back where I was. So maybe in a couple more weeks.
Speaking of tennis, did you hear about Martina Hingis and the Cocaine Scandal? Maybe we can get a few opinions here on the TravelBlog on that shocking news.
Love you.
November 16, 2007 – At Best, Running Is Boring.....
Other than some work stuff (and the closer it gets to Thanksgiving, the slower that gets) and a couple of errands I had to take care of, it was a very quiet day here in West Sacramento.
There are only 2 things even worth mentioning.
First, while working on my book (the “Diet” and Health book), I watched the Roddick –Federer tennis match from Shanghai.
I’ve been following tennis long enough to have seen Connors, Gerulitis, Borg, Chang, Agassi, Sampras, Navratilova, Everett, Graf....all of the oldies when they were young and all of the current youngsters on tour. I totally thought Sampras would always be my favorite player. Never occurred to me otherwise.
But I gotta tell you, this Roger Federer fellow is from a different galaxy. It’s hard to believe how he can take such a complex, mentally challenging, and physically demanding sport and make it look so gosh darned SIMPLE and EASY.
Even if you’re not a tennis fan, do yourself a favor and find a match where Federer will be playing on TV and watch the grace of a true artist at work. You’ll be telling your grandkids that you had the privilege of watching one of the great ones play.
Second, keeping true to my pledge to myself, I took a break for a run (jog). Ugh.
First, I had to really force myself to do it. How do you even get motivated to intentionally torture yourself?
I was going to go out early this morning, but I kept stalling and stalling and stalling.
Fact is. I get winded just saying “five mile run.”
Finally, I couldn’t make up any more excuses for myself, put on my shorts, laced up my shoes, and hit the road. It’s drudgery. I hated it when I was in the Marine Corps and they made me run mile after mile. I remember one time they had this long distance race (for “fun”, not as a “real” part of training), and, naturally, I was running last. About the 1/2 way point the Marine right in front of me (second to last) was giving me a hard time saying stuff like, “How’s it feel to be last, sucker?” So, although I was slower than anyone, I was as smart as most and said to him, “Do you really want to know?” And I dropped out.
Running sucks. It blows. It both sucks AND blows.
Not that it’s terribly hard physically – you can go at your own pace – but it’s so gosh darned boring.
But, if you’re a complete moron like me and push yourself, it’s both PAINFUL AND BORING.
It seems to me only right that if you’re going to do something painful, it should at least be fun. And, if you’re going to do something boring, there should be some great feeling of accomplishment or euphoria when you’re done.
Running provides none of the above.
I’d take some pics of me running for the TravelBlog, but they don’t make cameras that slow.
It’s no wonder Jim Fixx, acclaimed author of The Complete Book of Running and father of American’s infatuation with running for exercise, died while running. I figured it out. He actually died of boredom.
Even with the old iPod...good music and a good book on tape...it’sstill boring.
OK, I feel better now. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Unfortunately, I’ve got to start getting in shape somehow, so I’m committed (or should be, I guess).
Tomorrow: Old Sacramento. Stand by for some pics and who knows what else?????
RESPONSE TO COMMENTS
Frank –
(Since I don’t think he signed it and for those of you who don’t know him, the thorough analysis of drug testing is from my law school buddy, Frank....the one with the $6,000 mailbox in Bakersfield. See why I say he’s probably the smartest person I know. He’s a retired judge to put some of his comments in perspective.)
Background: As I understand it, Hingis tested positive from a standard, random urine test and then they did another (per the WTA rules) both showing “positive” for cocaine. Drug testing is very common in pro tennis these days. Everyone knows they’re going to be tested and they test quite frequently, I think. After Martina was told the results (several weeks later, by the way), she announced her retirement, denied any drug use, and had a hair test done. The hair test was “negative” for cocaine use.
As you said, one of the tests is wrong. Which one?
Big drama. Big controversy.
Hingis is adamant about not using drugs. Just from a competitor’s point of view, it’s hard for me to envision her using cocaine in the middle of Wimbledon. It just doesn’t track. Others maybe. Not her. (Not that we’re good friends or anything....just doesn’t seem right to me.) Lyle Alzado? Sure. Barry Bonds? Absolutely. Martina Hingis? I don’t know. I just don’t think so.
And, let’s remember, cocaine isn’t normally thought of as “performance enhancing.” I don’t know that much about it, but I’d sort of think it might be the opposite.
Also, I don’t know if the Tennis Gods’ standards for “positive” are the same, higher, or lower than the NIDA standards that you pointed out. That would be interesting to know. Remember, tennis is an international sport, so U.S. standards or guidelines may not be applicable or even close to the standards they use.
Thanks for your input and insight. Always appreciate it. Always learn something from you. As this unfolds, I think it may prove to be very interesting.
And, I not only “liked” Martina....I still do.
I’m going with INNOCENT! I just want to believe her, I guess.
_____
VEG
Glad to hear you and Blake and Brian are well and that’s he’s growing as expected (Blake, not Brian).
I hope you have some pictures of the tooth brushing (what, 4 teeth?). Send them and I’ll put one on the TravelBlog for everyone to get a laugh from.
Miss you, too, but I’ll be back in So. Cal. before you know it.
Love you.
November 17, 2007 – Saturday – Old Sacramento & The Capitol
Very foggy this morning and pretty cold – low 40’s, I think.
Left at about 9:30 for Old Sacramento.
I wasn’t expecting much and that’s exactly what I got.
It’s a small area of about 4 square blocks on the Sacramento River.
There are a few museums – I stuck my head in them all but didn’t go through any of them. They seemed pretty schlocky and I really didn’t want to waste money and time on something that wasn’t going to be that great.
Walked every block.
There are 30 gift stores. There are about 25 or 30 cafes and restaurants. There are at least 6 candy stores. That’s right....in 4 square blocks, there are at least 6 candy stores.
In other words, there isn’t much there except tourist trap stuff.
Not my style. Not at all.
I found the same thing last year when I intentionally went out of my way to visit The French Quarter and Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Complete tourist trap. No charm...all hype.
Here are a couple of pictures.
(By this time much of the fog had started to burn off...but you can see it lingers. And I liked the juxtaposition of the old - typical Old Sacramento architecture - and the new highrise in the distance.)
(I just snapped this because I used to play Pony Express Rider when I was a kid. I think maybe a lot of us romanticized racing across America on horseback carrying the mail, fighting Indians and mail robbers, surviving the hardships of the prairies, plains, deserts, mountains, and weather. Even as a kid I guess that sense of rugged individualism had some attraction for me. The Pony Express system, about 2000 miles each way, ran from St. Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento. Stations along the route were about 10 miles apart, the maximum distance a horse can travel at a full gallop carrying 165 pounds. Riders could only be 125 pounds or less, they carried 20 pounds of mail and 20 pounds for the saddles and all their survival gear. Each one did about 100 miles before changing riders. Here's an actual classified ad for Pony Express Riders: "Wanted. Young, skinny, wiry fellows. Not over 18. Must be expert riders. Willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred." These guys really knew how to write appealing ad copy, didn't they? At least they were honest. Although the Pony Express was very successful in reducing mail delivery time to about 10 days, its timing was very bad. It only existed for about 18 months in 1860-1861. It fell to superior technology....the Telegraph and the Railroad.)
(Here's something I DID NOT do.)
I had decided, since I was only about 8 or 10 blocks away, to walk over and look at the Capitol building and Capitol Park. People had said it was worth it.
Just to be sure, I even asked a guy at the Tourist Information Office in Old Town if it was worth it. “Oh, it’s great and the Park is gorgeous....the flowers and everything. It’s well worth going over there.”
So I went through the underpass, then through the mall (regular shopping mall with Gap, Macy’s, Hard Rock CafĂ©, etc.), and over to the Capitol.
The building is very Capitol looking. The Capitol Park was grass and trees. I didn't really see any flowers. Nothing to write home about. Another disappointment.
Well, I’m not really being fair when I say “disappointment.” I had very low expectations and since they were met, I can’t claim I was disappointed in the outcome.
Here are a couple of glimpses.
(You can all brag that you were the FIRST to see the lights on the State Capitol Chrismas Tree. These guys had just put the star on top and were starting to string the lights from the top down. So, look for it on the TV news when they light it up and tell all your friends you knew it when....)
(And, ta da.....the Capitol building/dome...)
I’m committed to stay here in West Sacramento through tomorrow (Sunday). I have an early morning conference call scheduled on Monday morning, but as soon as that’s over I plan to head south. Don’t know how far or exactly where to, but south it is first of next week.
Hope you’re all enjoying your weekend.
3 comments:
Dad,
Those pictures are gorgeous. Every time I read your blog, I wish more and more that I were there with you. Any tennis in the near future? Well, I miss you and love you so much. I cant wait to see you!
Chel
Dexie: Urine testing is as good as the test and the tester. Given quality tests and testers, cocaine gives few false positives because its a natural substance and not the product of other chemicals like methamphetamine is. If she tested negative with a hair test, one of the tests is wrong. Classicaly, urine testing shows 'positive' at a certain pre-measured level of nanograms of the drug metabolite per millileter of urine. The level is usually set by NIDA, National Institute of Drug Abuse, and has to do with having injested enough of the drug to produce at least the desired feeling of the drug. Therefore, very low levels of the drug will not show 'positive', even though they may be present. On the other hand, hair testing will show ANY use over whatever period is shown by the length of hair analysed. The hair tests are not accepted in court because they do not comport with NIDA standards but are very reliable as far as use is concerned. I allowed them in family court to rebutt an assertion of "never using for the last 'x' weeks". Anyway, I liked Hingis.
Dexie: I share your thoughts and feelings about tourist traps. My measure of a true trap is the number of places where stupid 'T'-shirts are sold. The bell ringer of all time is Lahaina on Maui, followed closley by Bourbon Street and Fishermans Wharf. Since you're almost in the 'valley' (the San Joaquin that is), why not stop here in good ol' Bakersfield. It sure as hell is not a tourist trap and I can probably find a project or two to amuse and regale your readers with. We'll be going to San Diego from Wednesday to Saturday. Then I'll be home until Christmas. From Sacramento you could take hwy 16 to hwy 49 down to Yosemite and Giant Forest.Some of the Gold Country on hwy 49 is real interesting. There are some T shirt stores but a good guide will show the interesting real places. The falls in Yosemite probably don't have much water but the parkss will be nearly empty. The view overlooking the Yosemite valley makes me feel like God was just practicing when he built the rest of the world. Good Luck, Frank
Post a Comment